March 07, 2019
Due to high fire risk around the country the following actions should be mandatory.
One near miss has been reported where a vehicle was parked while a gate was being opened. Smoke was smelt coming from under the vehicle, the vehicle was quickly moved off and ignition was averted.
The following is recommended when working in country that has higher than normal grass cover or tussock that may ignite from vehicles. This also includes grass verges particularly during these high fire risk times.
- It is recommended that all vehicles are fitted with an exhaust spark arrestor.
- Driving in high grass/tussock/scrub should be avoided where possible. If not possible, suitable pressurised water capacity should be considered.
- All vehicles/trailers are required to have fire extinguisher (2kg or greater) fitted. Regular checks of extinguishers is recommended.
- Daily and regular inspection (especially when vehicle is in these conditions) by the driver should take place of the undercarriage of the entire vehicle and remove any accumulated vegetation, especially upon leaving the field and returning to the road.
Further information can be sought from FENZ web site https://fireandemergency.nz of fire conditions and restrictions in place in your area of work. Also refer to Heat and Spark Hazardous Operations (Hotworks) fire prevention guidelines.
Read more about 'FIRE CAUTION: ...'
October 26, 2018
Phase 1 of the National Wilding Conifer Control Programme has shown that we can get on top of our No.1 plant pest - through a combination of improved technologies, focussed and coordinated efforts, and added funding. Our aim in Phase 1 was to tackle priority areas of infestation, and sort out systems and processes before potentially scaling the Programme up.Read more about 'Wilding Conifer Annual...'
October 22, 2018
Download a copy of the brochure Wilding Conifers Quick ID Guide to High Country / Montane speciesRead more about 'Wilding Conifers Quick...'
September 13, 2018
Celebrating our wilding successes so far
25-26 October, 2018
Countrytime Hotel, Omarama
- Keynote address by Hon Damien O'Connor, Minister for Agriculture, Biosecurity, and Food Safety
- Presentation about control/management, prevention, and restoration
- Field trip to see successes of wilding conifer control
Download the conference flyer for more details and accomodation options.
Read more about 'NZ Wilding Conifer...'
July 13, 2018
The National Wilding Conifer Control Programme is a partnership between LINZ, the Ministry for Primary Industries, the Department of Conservation, the New Zealand Defence Force, regional and district councils, forestry, farming and community groups.
LINZ leads the information work stream component of the National Wilding Conifer Control Programme, which has involved developing the WCIS.
The WCIS won a New Zealand Spatial Excellence Award in November 2017Read more about 'Wilding conifer app...'
June 29, 2018
At the end of May comments closed on the proposal to set up an independent stakeholder-led wilding conifer group. Thank you to the submitters. Given the broad support for the proposal, an Interim Committee was formed to guide the independent group’s establishment.Read more about 'Wilding Conifer Group...'